What does a non-profit need to declare and pay?
A non-profit business must complete the following:
- A set of accounts
- An annual company return
- A Trustee’s Annual Report
Your first step though is to make sure your non-profit is legally recognised by HMRC. This is really important because if you don’t tell HMRC you’re a charity, they’ll assume you’re an ordinary business trying to avoid tax. It doesn’t matter whether you’re exempt or not, if HMRC doesn’t know this, you could end up with some hefty fines. Don’t run that risk!
To tell HMRC you have a non-profit organisation, you can do this easily by filling in an online form on the government’s website.
How can Countplus help your non-profit with tax?
We have plenty of experience in dealing with non-profits and will make sure that you’re doing everything correctly and accurately.
We can help you with:
- Incorporating your charity or other non-profit business
- Applying for your tax exemption from HMRC
- Recording all revenue and expenses accurately through bookkeeping
- Completing and submitting annual accounts and tax returns
- Help with Self Assessment
- Completing and submitting a Trustee’s Annual Report
Non-profit business tax can be made simple by enlisting the help of one of our experienced accountants.
We’ll take care of all your tax responsibilities so you can focus on growing your non-profit and helping those who need it. Get in touch with Countplus today to find out more.